Create an Entity-Relationship Diagram (ERD) of this RCT database system for WEWA
Hospital according to the given description
Although WEWA Hospital is active in Randomised Clinical Trials (RCT), it does not have a good information
system to monitor the progress of these trials. You are asked to design a database system to store the trial
information for the management. The following is a description of how they conduct trials in the hospital.
There are many RCT projects conducted in the hospital. A project must have at least one researcher. Each
researcher must have at least one role in the project. Role can be leader, protocol writer, scientist, analyst,
support staff etc. A researcher can have more than one role in a project. Having said that, a researcher
does not necessarily need to work in a project. Explicit information has to be kept for a project, e.g. title of
the project, commencement date and end date, name of the funding agency and the amount if it receives
external support, and status of the project, i.e. active, lapsed, suspended or completed.
Each project consists of at least one experiment and it recruits people as subjects. During the recruitment,
a participant must sign a consent form and this date has to be recorded. In some occasions, a small
financial reward is negotiated with the participant and this amount has to be kept as well. An experiment
belongs to only one project. A room in the hospital must be booked (date/time) for an experiment. A
detailed instruction has to written for each experiment, so that the researcher(s) can follow. Since an
experiment may have multiple participants, the date/time of the experiment of each participant has to be
written down and, of course, the various measurements (temperature, blood pressure etc.) must also be
jotted down. If drug(s) is/are used in the experiment, names and the dosages of the drug will also be
It is, of course, crucial to record demographic details (such as name, date of birth, gender, address etc.) of
the participants. For the researcher, additional information of his/her list of specialties has to be stored,
while it is important to record the list of diseases and allergies for the patients.
• Create an Entity-Relationship Diagram (ERD) of this RCT database system for WEWA
Hospital according to the given description. You should include any assumption you
may have in preparing this ERD.
2 Report • Map the entities in your ERD to physical tables, and complete them with meta-data.
3 Access • Implement the results in Task 2 to become a database in Microsoft Access.
Page 2 of 3
This is an individual assignment with submission scheduled outlined below. [Note. The University now
considers a week to start on Monday and to end on Sunday]
Assessment Description Percentage Due
2 Database Design Assessment 30 23:59 of Sunday in w8
Students are expected to submit the report and the Access database electronically no later than
● Due date: as specified in the table above, Learning Management System
● Penalty: 10 marks will be deducted per calendar day. Report will not be accepted after 5 working
days from the due date.
Page 3 of 3
A student can only get a mark in the Pass grade if he/she completes all of the following items:
1. Submission of soft copy of ERD and/or reports to eLearning site.
2. Complete Task 1.
3. The ERD is a basic attempt to model the description of the RCT scenario in WEWA Hospital.
4. The symbols, cardinalities and participation constraints used in the ERD are relatively correct but
still have many errors.
A student can only get a mark in the Credit grade if the student has already met the Pass grade with the
completion of all of the following items:
5. The ERD is a good attempt to model the description of the RCT scenario in WEWA Hospital.
6. The symbols, cardinalities and participation constraints used in the ERD are mostly correct with
only a few minor errors.
7. Complete Task 2, and a document of mapping the ERD to physical tables with meta-data is
submitted to eLearning site.
A student can only get a mark in the Distinction grade if the student has already met the criteria in the
Credit grade with the completion of all of the following items:
8. The symbols, cardinalities and participation constraints used in the ERD are correct with almost
9. Complete Task 3, and an implementation of ERD in Access ERD.
A student will only be considered a mark in the High Distinction grade if the student has already met the
criteria in the Distinction grade with the completion of all of the following items:
10. Careful elaboration and quality extension to the existing descriptions of the problem with justified
11. Excellent assumption and insightful discussion.
12. Quality implementation of the database design to Access.
13. High quality ERD and report presentation.