Discuss the extent and impact this issue has on nursing practice in rural Australia.
Assessment item 1 – Essay
Length: 2000 words
TOPIC I HAVE CHOSEN: Obesity in Australian primary school children aged between 8-12 years.
You are to write an essay about a current and contemporary issue and how it impacts on nursing practice in RURAL Australia.
You are encouraged to access the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare website to identify current and contemporary issues and choose one of the following topics:
• A child health issue associated with a primary school aged child between 8-12 years (which is what I have chosen).
In your essay you should:
• Discuss the extent and impact this issue has on nursing practice in rural Australia.
• Identify and explain the social determinants of health (SDoH), pertinent legal, ethical and cultural aspects of the issue which relate to your chosen topic and relate them to primary health care (PHC) and the nurses’ role, responsibilities and governing legislation in Australia.
The assessment is to be presented in correct essay style with no sub headings or use of dot points and adhering to APA referencing style.
This essay will demonstrate your understandings of the issues pertinent to your chosen topic in relation to PHC, SDoH and relevance of nursing practice.
Assessable learning outcomes for the subject:
• be able to identify and explain effects of legislation governing nursing practice in the care of children, adolescents and families (NMBA 1.1, 1.2, 2.5).
• be able to recognise and articulate the impact and role of health promotion, health education, primary health and partnership care models (NMBA 2.6, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 8.1).
• be able to critically analyse epidemiological and health information, and research that impacts on the health of families and communities (with a focus on Indigenous Australians) (NMBA 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 4.1).
• be able to provide comprehensive, safe and effective evidence-based nursing care for children, adolescents and families (NMBA 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.3, 2.5, 2.6, 3.2, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 6.3, 6.4, 7.4, 7.7, 8.1, 8.2, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4, 9.5).
Apply evidence from credible sources
ALL claims are drawn from and supported by reliable, valid evidence from credible sources and effectively synthesised to provide an accurate representation of current thinking.
20 current peer reviewed sources were used, and these were all directly related to the topic.
Contemporary issues in nursing practice
Presents current and relevant epidemiological data relevant to the topic, derives trends and implications, and analyses them in relation to the topic.
Analyses the social determinants of health which impact on the topic and target population and comprehensively relates them to the topic.
Nursing practice in the rural context
Analyses the impact of key relevant, legal, ethical, and cultural considerations and on the topic and on nursing practice.
Explains what the nurses role and responsibilities are in respect to this topic and discusses these in relation to specific legal and professional standards, and explores the nurses role in relation to primary health care.
Language features and structures are used to convey meaning effectively, clearly, concisely, unambiguously, and in a tone appropriate to the audience and purpose with no spelling, grammatical, or punctuation errors.
Referencing is comprehensive, demonstrates academic integrity, and conforms exactly to APA style conventions.
All work to be refereced.