Access The Neighborhood website using the link on the student website.
Resource Community Emergency Grading Criteria
Read all of the community resources and character scenarios in Episode 5 of Season 2.
Write a 1,750- to 2,100-word paper about community emergency preparedness and response.
Include the following in the paper:
• Summarize the events which took place during Episode 5. Focus on the following areas of the Neighborhood:
o Senior center
o Bley household
• Examine the actions of health care workers in response to the health concerns of key characters within this episode.
o What was the role did the public health care teams in the Neighborhood play in their emergency preparedness?
o Which nurses initially responded to the emergency? What were their roles?
o What other types of nurses should monitor the effects of this emergency on community health?
• Identify other types of public health agencies (local, state, and national) that could have participated in the response to this type of emergency. How could they have assisted with the Neighborhood hospital’s situation?
• Identify how public health care teams can enhance the citizens’ preparedness for community emergencies. How could the public health care teams in the Neighborhood have assisted the Bley household?
• Offer suggestions to enhance personal preparedness for this type of emergency and similar community emergencies.
Cite all research sources consistent with APA guidelines.
Season 5 review
News – wild fires are in the local area and are causing issue with containing them. So far no one has been evacuated but the hospital and towns people have seen an increase in respritory issues due to the quality of pollution from the fire in the air.
Population of 64200
Hospital 362 inpatient beds
2 urgent cares
Outpatient pharmacy and laboratory
Rehab 40 inpatient beds
Community health department – family planning, immunization, and homeless healthcare services
Nursing homes and senior care 5 centers
400 bed skilled nursing unit
600 bed nursing home and specialty in Alzheimer
Organizations – American Heart, American Cancer, American Diabetes
In local news – forest fire continues to burn. 5 days now, Smoke causes issues for patients with pre exsisting conditions. Warn to stay indoors until haze is gone.
Hospital – units full of asthma/emphysema pts, there are no rooms, and rns are pressured to dc and readmit as quickly as possible. Unit is stressed, er is full and overtime is required to help fill the needs
Kids school – second grade student has asthma problem and asked to pick up from school. On school nurse for middle school and high school on top of elementary.
Senior Center – fire has effects including more use of oxygen and coughing problems stay indoors and avoid irritants
Biley house – jimmy staying inside to keep from having problems with his emphysema, needs to go out for dryer part but scared, continues to smoke
Reyes – angelo does not enjoy his company picnic due to the smoke, asthma is bad, Rachel clomid for cough but smoke all day worse
Young – kelsy young girk ill treatments at home and taken to md office, after nebulizer peak flow still bad